Thursday, October 23, 2008

Its getting bad when....


OK, so its fall and its getting colder and the leaves are starting to finally turn colors. I of course go out and buy a couple of pumpkins for the front porch. They looked so nice there from the street. So autumnish if that is a word. However the resident rabid squirrel had made other plans for them. I guess the summer crops werent quite enough this year. I did notice that the carnage from the pear tree in the backyard wasnt so bad this year. The pecan trees did not produce as much this year either. Or perhaps its just an economic downswing in squirrel land. Anyway I opened the front door on Saturday to find holes in both pumpkins with teeth marks. The squirrel was in the act of chewing through the rind as I watched. Not a pretty sight. I decided to rub hot sesame oil on both pumpkins and that seemed to keep him at bay for a couple of days, but last night I came home to find a new hole on one pumpkin. I don't think these two will make it to Halloween before they rot at this rate. I will have to buy more. I guess I will have to bring them in when Im not at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment